Sunday, May 17, 2009

Getting ready for the banquet

Over the past couple of days people are starting to beat me up because I have failed to update my blog in sometime. The reason for the delay is due to the fact that I haven’t really done anything of note. Plus, I must be in the mood to blog, and now since I am in the mood I will try and get you up to speed on everything that has been going on with us at the ole Jones house hold over the past couple of weeks.
Our main effort has been with the upcoming band banquet. I seem to disappear from society during this time because my main focus is on the band video. I take great pride in my video and spend countless hours putting together. I have to pick just the right music, pictures, and video to build the show. I have been known to complete deleted the video and start all over, sometimes it is because I just didn’t like the way it was going, or because I experienced an PICNIC error. PICNIC stands for “problem in chair not in computer”. This in the long run means that at some point I pressed something on the keyboard followed by at loud and alarming “OH SHIT”!
Reese on the other hand deals with everything else related to band banquet, committees, meetings, workshops, decorations, paint, painting, invitations, cards, scholarships and the parent volunteers. I am not allowed around other parents because I might say something rude and offend somebody. I know that I should be nicer but as the saying goes, “you can’t fix stupid”. I am not talking about the parents who help out and do what they can, it is the ones that I have never seen before, mainly senior parents that whine and moan at every little thing annoys them. The ones that will show up on Saturday night and complain. The ones that will show up to a formal black tie event in tee shirts and tennis shoes and say the no one told them what to wear. It is the ones that will arrive to the functions without a ticket and say, “I was told that I could get a ticket at the door.” The ones that have never been to a single band concert, football game band competition, guard competition, or award ceremony. As a matter of fact we attended the Junior High band Concert last night, which was awesome by the way, and after the concert we waiting in the parking lot for over an hour to make sure that the last two students were picked up by their parents. Heaven forbid that mom and dad would have to leave their bingo night early to pick up their kid. You know it just dawned on me, you need a license to drive a car, but you don’t need one to have a kid.
Thing 2 is ready for tomorrow night. We went down to San Marcos a couple of weeks ago to find her the ultimate formal dress for the banquet. We were met by our adopted daughter, sister, cousin, whatever you want to call her, Michelle, and she took us to this place at the outlet mall called “Betsy Johnsons”. As soon as we walked in Michelle became a woman possessed and start pulling dresses off of the shelves. She had an awesome technique, scare the crap out of all the other girls in the store so the she could capture the best dresses there. I think at one point she walked into some ones dressing room and said, “girl that dress makes you look like a cow, so why don’t you just take it off and hand it to me”! After about 20 minutes Michelle, who I will now refer to as our wardrobe matron, had assembled a vast assortment of formal dresses for Thing 2. Thing 2 went about the task of trying on all of the dresses. Being a dad and the only guy in the store, except of Jean Luke, the very flamboyant sales guy, I decided to sit and wait for the final result. After a short while she bought a very nice dress and she was very happy about it.
The band banquet is better than prom around here. Kids from other cities try their hardest to get someone from the band to take them as a date. The entire event is planned and executed by the band booster, and the theme is a closely guarded secret. The kid start snooping and asking questions around February to see if they can get any information about it. It is no easy task and so now that everything is set and ready to go I will tell you what it is. This year’s them is censored and I just know that the kids are going to love it. The kids will have to sit out in the hall way of the convention center until we are ready to open the doors, everyone one wants to be the first one in and see the theme for the first time. This year, when the walk into the hall, they will be greeted by some of the best decorations that a parent can build. They will be amazed and awe struck by the censored censored and then over on the back wall they will see censored censored. And if that just doesn’t do for them when the look over to the left and they see censored censored, they will so happy that they came to the banquet.
I will tell ya’ll how it goes on Sunday with some pictures, and my a part of the band video.

2 comments:

Janet said...

See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?

Anonymous said...

I was so honored to have the opportunity to attend your dining experience on Saturday. We must replicate the hallway somehow next year because that was fun. YOU GUYS OUTDID YOURSELVES! I was tremendously impressed.