Ok for those of you who missed it, the band banquet was a massive hit! And yes once again my video made people cry. I do have a pretty well tuned sensitive side. Anyway I digress, let me get started on the day’s events.
We woke up early on Saturday day for two reasons. One thing two had to be at the band hall at 9:30 am so that she could march in the annual Rabbit Fest Parade. The Rabbit fest is our local red neck gathering with a carnival, rabbit judging and all around good time and good eats. However, due to the massive tsunami that morning the parade was promptly cancelled and we all headed back to the comfort our homes. Thing 2 decide that she would spend the rest of the day at her bff’s house to get ready for the band banquet.
After dropping her off at her bff’s house, I met up with Reese and the rest of the support staff of the Band Boosters at the Club and began the task of decorating the events hall and make it look oh so pretty. The theme this year was “passport to Europe”. Everything was easy to put up. We put up Big Ben for London, we put up the Grand Bridge for Venice, and then a team of 4 or 5 spent most of the day constructing the Eifel tower for some place I can’t remember. The Eifel tower looked a whole lot smaller in the catalogue, and it was one of those project that the instructions say “easy to build” yeah right. So after many hours of gluing and taping, the 17 foot Eifel tower was complete.
I was in charge of audio and visual. Once again I had to borrow a laptop from someone, (hint, hint,) and go through the traditional trial and error method of hook up. I would plug this cord in here, unplug this cable for there, stand on my head, hold my tongue just right, and after about twenty minutes I finally had a picture but no sound. So I began to push this button here, press a combination of letters and function key there, and after about 25 minutes I had sound. Hurray for me, I was relieved that I would be able to produce my show to the masses.
Reese came to me and said that Thing 2 needed money for her hair appointment. Thing 2 seems to go into a panic sometimes at the drop of hat, so I rushed all the way back Copperas Cove so that she would have money for her hair-do. I walked into the hair salon to find her sitting in the chair with her hair up in a pony tail. I promptly told her that there was no way in hell that I was going to pay 35 dollars for a pony tail! She quickly told me that she hadn’t had her hair don’t yet and that she would be ready in about 3 three hours. Ok good so I gave her the money and went home.
Reese and got all dressed up and headed back the events center. The kids were already in line and waiting to get in. I went into the hall and something told me to double check my audio/visual set up. I turned on the borrowed laptop, hint, and hint and discovered that it wasn’t working, oh crap, what happened? One of the parents came by as happy as a peacock, at the same moment I yelled,
“who is the dumb ass that change the settings for the audio visual!!!!!!!?
At that time Mr. Peacock lost his smile and sadly said,
“I did.”
To which I replied,
“Did you know what you were doing or did you read the instruction from a comic book!!!!!!”
I finally fixed everything and was back on track.
The night was great, we ate, and we danced, and showed my video. It was a big hit and I made everyone cry, I just like to keep bring that up. Once the music started I managed to find a quiet place out in hall and spent the rest of the evening with some of the band directors. All in all it was a great success. We were told that we could stay in the hall until 12:00am. Until Rosita came up to us at 11:15 pm with her very official looking Sponge Bob Square Pants clip board and stated,
“jew know, jew gotta be outta heres at the twelves o’clocks?”
This put everyone in a panic we had to get the kids out of the hall and clean everything up in forty five minutes. Oh Crap, what a pain in the butt. So Reese and I put on our change of close and went about the task of tearing down and cleaning up. The Eifel Tower took only thirty seconds to destroy, and the rest of the decorations were pretty easy to take down also. In short we did it, we managed to have everything down and reloaded into the truck in less than 30 minutes.
The Kids went to the annual midnight bowling event in their formals; it is a tradition that will stay strong for many years. Reese and I stopped by to say hi, and it was at that point that I had had enough of some of the teens and that it was time to go home. Other than that I can’t wait for next year. As a matter of fact I have already started working on next year’s video.


2 comments:
Awesome! Kaitlin looked stunning... Thanks for sharing the experience. Love and miss you!
Great job, Dad!
Post a Comment