Monday, February 2, 2009

By the twitching of my thumb, something wicked this way comes.


Now before I start this next installment, I must make an official announcement. Due to the recent interest and excitement about my blog I must state that all of the opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not in anyway represent or reflect the attitudes or opinions of anyone else but me. Mainly due to the fact some of you are just too a feared to say it, so I will.

Ok so there we where ready for another Saturday filled with the Winter Guard as they prepared once again to compete at College Station Texas. Since College Station was closer than where we had to go last week we were able to sleep in until almost 3:00 am.

Now I was hoping that the trip would be so much better than last week, after all I had finally managed to regain the use of my left leg and the feeling was beginning to return to the right. I just knew that things would be better this week. I was going into this trip with my upbeat attitude, because it is a proven fact that if the glass is half empty then by all means buy more beer.

It was a chilly Saturday day morning with just a little bit of fog floating around the Cove, but the cold woke us up and prepared us for the day. We pulled into the parking lot of the high school and there it was, the Blue Beast. My thumb began to twitch and I felt a tingle shoot up my spine, pretty much like the tingle I use to get in Iraq, but worse, I slowed the truck down as if I was afraid to wake the beast from its slumber as its engine idled. I parked the truck and we headed into the band hall. I made all attempts to avoid eye contact Mr. Happy and his shining personality; it was too early to hear his wisdom. When I saw Mr.Chapa I said,

“Good Morning, how are you doing?”

“I am fine.” Said Mr.Chapa for he is not known for being a morning person.

He did manage a smile as if to say, “I am here and it’s early, so let’s make the most of it.”

Then all of the sudden he turned serious and said,

“We got the mean bus driver, the one that yells all the time.”

I must confess I said to myself, “Who cares at least it is not Mr. Happy and I will have my own seat this time, and as soon as the bus heads out I will go to sleep.”

It was an idea at least. Right? I mean after what I went through last week at least I could be just a little selfish. Right? Finally I just decide that I would not let it bother me, I would just ignore the bus driver, that would be very easy to do……………….Right?

I waited as long as I could before I headed to the Blue Beast, I slowly left the safety of the band hall and made my journey towards the Beast. I felt like the kid that has to walk down the stairs to see your father because Mr. Wimple caught you squeezing the Charmin. As I neared the beast I heard Reese and Mama Marina, doing their best to use their charms on the bus driver, I heard them laughing and telling him to loosen up and have a good time. When asked why he was so grumpy he turned and stated,

“ Look, I only gots me three hours of sleep since mes last junket, and now the winds tells me I gots to get you scallywags to port in College Station, so’s I suggest ye be sitting down, strappin in, because thars a storm a brewin and I don’t have time for the likes of you!”

Holy Crap it was Captain Bly

My thumb began to twitch even more and then somewhere in the distance I heard a raspy voice that spoke to me and said;

“Dead men tell no tales”.

Shit, the Blue Beast had become the Flying Dutchman. I looked up to the sky and said,

“Really?, Really?, you had nothing better to day than have a laugh on me”

I shook my head, took a deep breath the best I could without the use of my inhaler, turned towards the Dutchman and said.

“Permission to come aboard Captain.”

“Sure, that would be super duper, the more the merrier, I bet we are going to be the bestest of friends,”

Holy shit Captain Bly is bi-polar. This should make for interesting trip. I boarded the Dutchman, looked at Reese and Mama Maria and noticed a somewhat puzzled look on there faces, they too were trying to decipher what had just happened. I thought maybe this will be great trip, after all, I can understand what he is saying, he can form phases and make sentences, this just might turn out to be ok.

So I sat down in my private chair, smiled, I could move my legs around, I tested my Ranger wooby, it covered me up nicely. I put my legs under the seat in front of me, they had plenty of room. I fluffed my pillow, tested it against the window, Perfect; this was going to be good trip and then it happened, Captain Bly went to action,

“Alright, you codfish, sit down, shut up or you will spend the rest of your time before the mast, where you will gets thirty lashes with me blade!”

And with that the Flying Dutchman left the dock at the band hall and began making its way towards College Station. Passing through the fog and mist into the early morning and still in the background I could still hear,

“Dead men tell no tales.”

The tingle had returned, the omen that followed me all week, I wanted to go home I looked to the back of the bus to check on our cargo, the Winter Guard, and I was please to find them clueless. They had no idea of the fate the school district had placed on them; they were on the Flying Dutchman and didn’t know it.

Reese decided to break the tension by talking about Disney World, the happiest place on earth. She talked to Mr. Chapa and Mr Stewart about our upcoming band trip. I think this made the Captain uneasy, he stirred in the helm, and it was obvious that happiness made him uneasy. Every now and then the Captain would interject with an ARRRGGG. And then spit out the window.

We finally left the comfort of the Cove and made our way to College Station. Looking out the window of the Dutchman, I wondered if I would ever see these familiar sights again. My pillow had lost its fluff, my wooby was cold and damp, and my seat began to shrink. The Captain decided that in order to stay awake that he would turn on the air conditioning for the next 2 and half hours. Reese and I watched the Captain nervously as he would periodically slap his face, adjust his seat, and take long drinks from his grog. At one point Reese, who never gets cold ask the Captain for a little heat. It reminded me of the scene from Oliver Twist when Oliver asked for more food, and the Orphanage Master leaned over little Oliver and asked, “MORE? YOU WANT MORE?” Reese just sank deeper into her seat because she knew that she could not win.

We finally arrived in port at College Station. The check in went as smooth as it could. The hosting Guard sent us two guides to lead us around the campus and to stamp our hands with little smiley faces and stars to signify that we were members of the Copperas Cove Winter Guard. The Captain did not like the fact that he had to deal with more teens on his vessel. He looked at them as they stood at the front of the bus and sneered and mumbled under his breath. We sailed to the unloading dock and down loaded the equipment and at that point we all decided that this would be a good time to evacuate the Dutchman. I think the Captain felt the mutiny coming and made an announcement to the crew.

“Make sure ye be gettin all of your ditties, for once I drops anchor, there will be no coming aboard until we sets sail for home you no good blow fish!”

Then the captain turned towards me and said,

“I hope that you have swell time! I am very excited for you and if you need anything from me don’t be afraid to whistle and I will be there for you.”

I departed from my new bestest buddy and focused on the Guard. I felt a little more relaxed because I was away from the Captain, the guard was happy, the directors were happy,everything would be fine from here on out and then it happened. We found out the Captain was very upset with A&M Consolidated high school’s band booster president and he made sure that she knew it. The band booster president decided she would file a grievance against the Captain to the Commodore in Cove.

The rest of the day went fairly smooth, I took great pleasure of taking members of the Guard, two or three at a time, back to the Dutchman just so that the Captain would remember that we were still here. His demeanor changed throughout the day, he was nicer, kinder and gentler. I also found out that he was only this way when I was around, if the Guard as a group was around he would turn back into the Captain.

The competition went well and the J.V. placed 2nd and the Varsity improved on their score from last week, so that made it a successful performance. We were all happy and jubilant on the way home, we really didn’t pay too much attention to the Captain anymore. We laughed and sang, Mama Marina passed out homemade Rice Krispy treats to everyone on the bus and even though the Captain piped up and stated that he be liken Rice Krispy treats and that they were his favorite ever since he was a wee cabin boy, Mama Marina somehow forgot to give him one.

We finally docked back at the Cove; once again I kissed the Ground and prepared to leave the parking lot in my big Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab four wheel drive pickup truck. I decide to take one last look at the Dutchman before I left and discovered that it was gone, it had vanished in to the night, the tingle came back, my left leg was asleep and my inhaler was spent. It was time to go home at last,

“Dead men tell no tales”

Followed by an eerie laugh and “JIBBA JABBA MUMBLE SPIT KISS MY ASS”

3 comments:

Big Sister said...

Too funny, love reading your Blog!

Love ya,
Debbe

Anonymous said...

great job. keep us informed on all that is going on. Your trip to Florida should be a hoot.

metalfatigue217 said...

I don't have time to read things from people I really like, so why would I read your drivel?...Wait a minute...is this Randy? Randy JONES? MISTER Randy Jones? SERGEANT Mister Randy Jones? THE HONORABLE Sergeant MIster Randy Jones? SUPREME OVERLORD The Honorable Sergeant Mister Randy Jones? Well...that's different. Randoliphus Jones, it's a pleasure reading your "blog". You are a very funny and completely insane guy, and I hope you are able to receive the professional help you so clearly need. I look forward to your future attempts at the English language, and I'm happy that at least Reese and the kids lead interesting lives. You just seem to have lots of car accidents. Good luck with that.